The use of candles around the home has become increasingly popular in recent years, with more and more people appreciating the many scents, designs, and ambience. However, the increased use of candles has resulted in an increase of home fires. The U.S. Fire Administration estimates that candles are responsible for 10,000 residential fires per year.
Most candle fires occur as a result of candles being left unattended. It is important that anyone who uses candles in the home be aware of basic fire safety and the proper use and care of candles.
The National Candle Association recommends that burning candles be always kept within sight. Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep. Never burn a candle on or near anything that is flammable, such as furniture, drapes, bedding, etc. It is also very important to always use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use. Appropriate candleholders should be heat resistant, sturdy, and large enough to catch drippings. And, be sure that you place the holder on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
It is important to keep candles away from drafts, which can cause rapid, uneven burning, smoking and excessive dripping. Drafts can also blow lightweight items around, potentially causing a fire.
By taking some simple steps of caution, you can use and enjoy candles without becoming a statistic.
Candles and Children:
Always keep candles out of reach of children Never leave a child alone in a room with a candle Do not allow teenagers to burn candles in their rooms Keep candles, matches and lighters stored up high and out of sight and reach.
Please contact us by calling (620) 232-9294, or emailing us here.